North Campus Co-op Quick Info
This page gives a five minute blurb about the most important things on your mind as
you consider moving into Renaissance or O'Keeffe. For a more detailed/rambling account,
see the FAQ.
Overall, the North Campus co-ops cater to a rather different type of member than most of the Central Campus co-ops.
Our members are primarily graduate students (masters and PhD), recently graduated professionals, and mature/studious undergrads.
Our meals and inventory are professionally managed (by our chef), and members sign for specific rooms.
The North Campus Co-ops are comprised of two houses (Renaissance and O'Keefe) that share one building (Escher). All members of both houses have access to Escher's many amenities (see below). Each house has its own house officers, house constitution, and most importantly its own character. Typically, approximatively 80 people live in O'Keeffe and 60 people live in Renaissance. To create a tighter sense of community despite so many people, each house is further subdivided into a series of suites. Each suite is equipped with its own lounge & kitchenette. The suite's sixteen(ish) members are split into four hallways of four rooms, each with a shower room and a toilet room to serve its inhabitants (although you're free to use other hallways' showers and toilets if your own is occupied).
For more information on the organizational structure, see
The North Campus Co-Ops are located on the North Campus (duh) of the University of Michigan. Prospective members whose departments/classes are based on the Central or Medical Campuses may worry about commuting, but as the map below shows, transportation options are plentiful. Notably, a Bursley-Baits bus arrives every ten to fifteen minutes at a stop just a hundred feet from the co-op during the Fall and Winter semesters and gets our members to Central Campus within fifteen minutes. We're also conveniently located near several restaurants, grocers, and other shops.
View Escher, Inter-Cooperative Council in a larger map
Unlike with most of the Central Campus co-ops, Renaissance and O'Keefe members sign
for specific rooms, can choose the size (small vs. large), and can choose whether or not
to have a roommate.
Most members live in singles, although some opt to live in doubles (a double
is just a Large inhabited by two people) - see Cost for how much you can save
by choosing a double
All rooms come with the following furnishings (two of each for a double)
- 1 Dresser (four drawers)
- 1 Armoire (free-standing closet)
- 1 Desk
- 1 Chair
- 1 twin extra long bed (39 inches wide x 80 inches deep, or 1 meter
wide x 2.05 meters long). This includes a bedframe frame with springs
and a mattress but no sheets
- Small Rooms
- Large Rooms
- For more information on rooms, see
Monthly charges vary from year-to-year based on the budget we (the members) establish. In past years, however, monthly charges have been as follow...
||Fall/Winter Charges ($)
||Spring/Summer Charges ($)
| Small Single
| Large Single
| Large Double
For more information on costs, see here,
and for more information on contracts, see here.
You owe labor to each of the following:
*Actually more like 1 hour/month, but this is the weekly average
| Your House
|| Helping the chef cook dinner
|| 3 Hours
| Your Suite
|| Vacuuming the stairs
|| 15 min.
| Your Hallway
|| Cleaning the bathroom
|| 15 min.*
|| 3 1/2 Hours
For more information on work requirements, see here.
Types of Food:
|Always Around||Lunch Prep||Dinner Entrée|
- Fresh fruits
- Sliced bread (white, whole wheat, 12 grain, etc.)
- Frozen waffles
- Frozen veggie burgers
- Sliced turkey/ham/salami
- Sliced cheese
- Tuna/chicken/egg salad
- Baked Fish
- Chicken Gyros
- West African Peanut Soup w/Chicken
- Tuna Noodle Casserole
- Tofu Stir-fry
- Falafel Gyros
- Broccoli and Edamame Soup
- Pasta w/Greens and Beans
- Scandanavian Blend Vegetables
- Greek Salad
- Banana Pudding
- Butterscotch Cashew Bars
- Always around: Always (duh) - these items are restocked daily in the two dining halls, from whence you can grab them whenever you like.
- Lunch prep: Some subset always - these items are prepared several times per week by lunch prep crews. The types of food available depend on what the lunch prep crews choose to make, but whatever they prepare is always available in the fridges in either dining hall.
- Dinner Entrée: Served from 6pm tp 7pm - dinner items are set at the beginning of the week by the chef, and served between certain hours. If you're not going to be around at dinner time, you can request to have a meal saved for you.
For more information on meals, see here.
The following amenities come with your room:
- High-speed Internet (via Wi-Fi b/g throughout the House)
- Flatscreen HD TVs in every lounge (one per suite)
- Satellite TV with HD TVs
- Bluray-Enabled DVD Players with HD TVs
- Dinner served almost every evening of the year
- Other foods available at all hours (see Food above)
- Free use of House washing machines and dryers for laundry
- Free detergent powder
Parking and Transport
- Competetively-priced parking that's private to co-op members
- Two-minute walk from University and AATA bus stops (see Location above)